Friday, April 8, 2016

Not all LGBT representation is created equal

LGBT representation is so very important, but not all representation is created equal and right now we're seeing ourselves killed (often even murdered) in TV shows on an almost weekly basis.

That's why I'd like to - once again, yes, I know - celebrate the horror genre, where we might die as well, but we seem to have much better odds.

Right now Heather Langenkamp - one of the biggest horror icons ever since the 80's where she starred in 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' - is playing one half of a lesbian married couple in the indie horror movie 'Home'.

LGBT Representation HOME Heather Langenkamp Samantha Mumba
Just a sweet and loving married couple in a horror movie

Her wife is played by Samantha Mumba, who many will know as a singer (I sure did!) even though she's primarily been acting for the past many years.

I read a review over at my favorite horror website Heaven of Horror and it sounds like an almost picture perfect example of good LGBT representation. You can read the review here!

I've already seen it and it's a pretty good ghost story... plus, if you love horror, then it's always great to see Heather Langenkamp again.

heather langenkamp tongue phone
Freddy Krueger wanted Nancy (Heather Langenkamp)
in a bad way in 'A Nightmare On Elm Street'

The movie is out On Demand now, so if you're in the mood for some horror tonight and still want a bit of gay action - so to speak - then this is a pretty safe pick.

Have a beautiful weekend,
- GG

P.S. I got tired of calling every single Friday segment "Friday I'm In Love" in the title, so now you can just follow the tags instead. I'll still use "FIIL" or "Friday I'm In Love".

No comments: